Friday, March 11, 2016

Back In the Day

I used to be able to work on my car.

When I was in high school, I drove a 1976 Ford Pinto Runabout. And when you opened up the hood, there were about five things under there. You could see exactly what everything was connected to, it was easy to understand what everything did, and you could pretty much reach everything with a socket wrench. One time, I actually replaced the points, plugs, and distributer on that bad boy. Quit laughing. I really did.

Those days are gone. These days, every cubic centimeter is packed with something. I can’t tell anything apart. And in order to work on anything, you have to remove two or three things, just to get at it.

The other day, my mechanic buddy, Mike, told me that someone brought in their new car with a blown headlight bulb, and he actually had to take off the front bumper to replace the bulb. It was, like, $160 in parts and labor. For a light bulb. Is it just me, or is that madness?

Most of what Mike tells me about working on cars sounds like voodoo magic and guesswork. So, I don’t even mess with it anymore. I can refill the fluids. That’s about it.

But guess what? I can still get in the car, turn it on, and drive to the grocery store, having no idea how to reset the manometer or where the ignition magneto is located. Ninety percent of the time, it still does everything I need it to do, no problem. And the other ten percent? That’s why I have Mike.

So, in a certain sense, driving my car around town is a little bit like walking The Way of Jesus. I don’t have to know every little detail about atonement and heaven and predestination and eschatology in order to get from Point A to Point B.

Ninety percent of the time, all I need to do is turn the key and go - the basics are all that’s necessary. And for the other ten percent, I have the Holy Spirit, the Bible, my pastor, and 6,000 years of biblical scholarship to fall back on.

This week, join us as we discuss who we are and who God wants us to become and how that path doesn’t require us to understand every tiny detail and every single nuance of God’s plan. At some point, we just have to trust that, if we turn the key, this car will get us where we’re going.

Join us this Sunday!
Pastor Ed

----------

Series Title: DYING2LIVE
Message Title: live4growth | die2junk
Main Passages: 2 Corinthians 12:7-10, 2 Timothy 3:16-17, Hebrews 12:1-3

Some questions for reflection or group study (or please comment on them, below):

  • In what area of your life has your faith produced the most growth?
  • What have been your greatest stumbling blocks to growing in your faith?
  • Share something you’re doing to intentionally to grow your faith.
  • If someone asked you how to start learning about Jesus, what would you tell them?

No comments:

Post a Comment