Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Would you?

Andy was super jazzed. "You've gotta try this, man! You won't believe it. Best high EVER!"

I was stationed at Fort Riley, Kansas, and Andy worked down the hall from me. He had come by my barracks room and could barely contain himself. "You've seriously gotta try this. Just a few hours of training, a few bucks, and you’re in. They do all the hard stuff for you. You just show up."

Andy was already an excitable guy, but I'd never seen him like this. "I'm still coming down, Ed." This from a guy who, I'm here to tell you, knew a little bit about "getting high." He just wouldn't shut up about it. "What a rush, man."

"Sounds awesome, bud. Give me all the details!" I knew he was heading down to the airfield that day, but, honestly, I figured he'd probably chicken out. Andy had joined the Fort Riley Jump Club, and he'd just had his first jump.

Everything about it sounded great, and, because we were active duty Army, it was super affordable (like $20, which was dirt cheap even by 1982 standards). So, I decided I would give it a try.

But then I started thinking about it. Who would be packing my chute? Another soldier? Someone just like me? Oh, crap. Not sure I like that. And then I kept seeing myself falling 10,000 feet to my death. Not liking that either. But the clincher was when I called my mom and told her what I was contemplating. She started crying.

So, I decided not to jump. Still regret that decision. But, hey, I didn't fall to my death, so there's that. But, I keep remembering that look on Andy's face. There's nothing quite like facing death and living. What a rush, indeed.


How much safety do you need in order to act? And how much risk do you need for the rush? And what role does trust play in all of this? Joshua joined the Jericho Jump Club, but what about his buddies? Were they ready to risk it all? Were they ready to follow Joshua into life-threatening danger?

Join us this coming Sunday as we talk about trusting God and overcoming fear.  Come check it. 3:30 p.m., 111 W. Olive St., Arlington Heights.

See you then!

Pastor Ed

------------

Sunday's message title:
“Really, God?” (Joshua)
Main Scripture passages:
Joshua 3,Isaiah 41:10-13, 2 Timothy 1:7

Questions/thoughts for group discussion or personal reflection:

  • What’s the craziest thing you regret not trying?
  • Share a time when you did something that scared the crap out of you.
  • What is the danger of trusting too much?

2 comments:

  1. I never did jump out of a perfectly good airplane, but once I was tied to rope and thrown out of a helicopter.

    ReplyDelete