Wednesday, November 11, 2015

On a Mission

I’m a veteran. Nine years with the U.S.Army. But I’m not telling you that so I can get a pat on the back. I’m telling you that, so I can tell you this: I know a little something about mission.

It’s really hard to do something like serve in the military without a mission. And let me be totally honest with you; I didn’t join the military with the goal of saving the world or making the world safe for democracy or crushing the spread of communism or anything noble like that. I did have a mission though. And without it, I wouldn’t have even made it through BASIC training. 

My mission? Money for college. Yep. That was it. Not proud of it, but there it is.

However, no one stays in the military for nine years for the college money. At some point, my mission changed. Somewhere along the line, my mission shifted; my mission started to conform to their mission. The mission of the Army started to become important to me. I can’t really say that I ever loved being in the military, but at some point, serving my country and preparing others to do the same became my mission.

My spiritual walk has followed a similar path. I’m not sure what my mission was when I first started going to church regularly, but at some point, God’s mission started to become important to me. And now, serving the church and preparing others to do the same has become my mission.

You may not be sure why you’re coming to church, but without a mission, it probably won’t stick. It doesn’t have to look exactly like my mission in the church, but it needs to look like something. 

You may not know it, but you’re on a mission from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment